Friday, March 29, 2013

Sandy days in town

                                                                                             
The view is down one of the streets that border our town square. My store is to the left, but not visible.
The sand blows into every crevice of our buildings. I was looking around up above my front ceiling one day and discovered a pile of sand about two feet deep. I have no idea how the pile got into this one spot, but I bet there's a good ten pounds of sand.
My wife and I were in San Diego one year for a Modern Language Convention. We visited the old Settlers' Town. Most of the shops had displays sitting outside. I kept leaning over looking at items on display. I guess I looked weird staring at the leaves on plants. I was really up close. One of the shop owners asked me what I was looking for. I told her I was curious about how she kept sand off of every leaf. She looked at me like I was crazy. I told her where I was from that sand got on everything, even in our stores. People who don't live with sand simply don't understand. We breathe the sand almost every day. Today, we got a bit of rain over in the city. At first, I thought it smelled kind of nice, then I realized I was actually smelling mud.  I remember how clean the air smelled in Charleston, South Carolina during and after a rain.  Not so much here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You should be able to post a comment. Let me know if it does not work.